Subject: PVR drives and Pentium Pro
From: [email-masked]
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 1995 00:41:19 -0500

Anyone have any suggestions regarding the BEST 4 GB drive for the PVR?
Also, has anyone tried Lightwave on a Pentium Pro machine? I've read most of
the recent articles about the first batch of these 150 MHz machines, and the
general consensus seems to be that they're great for NT and 32-bit apps, but
that they're actually slower (!) than a 133 MHz Pentium running 3.1 OR '95.
BUT.... here's the catch. According to PC Magazine, even on some 32-bit apps,
like Photoshop, certain functions WITHIN a program can be slightly slower on
the Pentium Pro vs. a P-5, such as "Sharpen Edges" (16.5 sec. vs. 15.7 sec.)
I realize this isn't a significant difference, but I'd feel kind of dopey if
I paid $2000 more for a "state-of-the-art" PC that runs slower than a "basic"
PC.  On the flip side, functions like Gaussian Blur are MUCH faster on the
Pentium Pro (8.5 sec. vs. 22.7 sec.)  

>From a technical standpoint, the Pro seems to be the way to go, but is it
worth the premium price? It sure would be helpful if someone out there had
real world benchmarks running Lightwave on the new machines! Thanks for your
input...

Leigh Herman
Flying Colors
201-796-9595